You were a monster of a year. Being thirteen was a strange but unremarkable experience, and it has left me on the verge of new beginnings. Here are some of the ten most memorable things about you.
10. Discovering the wonder that is German opera.
9. Doing over 160 hours of community service.
8. Scoring in the 99th percentile for college-bound seniors on a practice SAT. I swear it was a fluke. Now I just need to do as well on the real thing in junior year….
7. Discovering the beauty of ancient mathematics from the days before the Cartesian plane.
6. Performing a Korean masked dance.
5. Taking a class on dystopian literature.
4. Learning Chinese and Slovak for the first time and discovering Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis.
3. Taking my first college composition class ever! I learned an incredible amount about creative writing from this course.
2. Building a model car.
1. Interrogating Holly Black on how plot works in a fantasy novel, eating vegan brownies with Delia Sherman and Ellen Kushner, asking Rose Fox about the process of editing fiction, and getting lots of free books.
Yes, I cheated a bit there at the end with the four-in-one thing. Oh well! xD
Best (and Goodbye),